Pumpkin Tart with Chocolate Crust:
This was totally delightful — The Pumpkin portion of this is only half of a full-fledged pumpkin pie, so a slice is not as ‘heavy’ as usual. I added about 3 tablespoons of Mascarpone. The chocolate crust was choco-wonderful with the ‘light’ pumpkin filling. I think it would work equally well with a ginger-snap crust.
Important Note — I used a 9-inch tart pan, it proved not large enough — The Pumpkin mixture did not fit!! I will try a springform pan next time, so that I can make the sides of the crust higher.
1 (9-ounce) package chocolate wafer cookies
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup pumpkin puree
3/4 cup evaporated milk
2 eggs, room temperature
2 or 3 tablespoons Mascarpone (or cream cheese) * optional
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon each — cinnamon / ground ginger
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
Pinch of fine sea salt
Dark Chocolate Sauce for drizzle
Instructions / Assembly:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a food processor, pulse the wafers into a fine meal. Pour into a medium-sized bowl, and add the melted butter. Mix to evenly combine. Place a 9-inch springform pan with removable bottom onto a baking sheet for easy handling. Evenly press the wafer mixture into the pan, making sure it comes up on the sides. Bake for 5 minutes.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, eggs, brown and granulated sugars, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice, nutmeg and salt. Whisk to combine, making sure no lumps are left.
5. Pour into the pie shell, and bake for 45 minutes or until set in the middle. Let cool fully in the fridge.
6. Serve with whipped cream, and a sprinkle of chocolate crumbs, or drizzle with chocolate sauce. Enjoy.