Lobster with Fennel & Corn over Pasta:
A lovely, delicately flavorful topping for pasta — Both rustic and elegant. Can certainly use frozen lobster tails rather than live lobster. Can include lightly steamed snow peas (for extra texture) as well.
Ingredients / Prep:
1 pound garganelli pasta (or another short pasta shape)
2 live lobsters (about 1-1/4 pounds each)
Or — 4 frozen lobster tails
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 bulbs fennel, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 pkg frozen corn kernals (optional)
3/4 cup toasted slivered almonds (optional)
1/2 cup torn basil leaves (or Italian parsley)
Instructions / Assembly:
1. Find a pot that is large enough to fit two live lobsters, add water to about 2 inches. On high heat, bring the water to a boil — Lightly salt the water. Add the lobsters to the pot, reduce the heat so that the water is gently simmering, and cook for 8-10 minutes. Remove the lobsters and run under cold water to stop the cooking process. Extract the meat from the lobsters (Kitchen shears, nut-cracker, etc.). Cut the meat into bite-size chunks. Store the lobster meat in the refrigerator till ready to use it.
2. Saute Onion and then Fennel separately. In a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil and the red chili flakes. Once hot enough, add the onions — Saute till softened and becoming translucent. Transfer to separate bowl. To same pan, add the fennel — Season with salt. When the fennel begins to soften, add the onion back and turn the heat down to low. At very low heat, slowly caramelize the fennel and onion, till very soft and sweet.
3. When the vegetables are caramelized, add the garlic and saute for one more minute. Then add white wine, increase the heat, and cook till the wine is somewhat reduced. Add the heavy cream and cook until the cream has partially reduced.
4. Remove from heat — With a hand-held blender, puree till somewhat smooth. Add small amount water or broth if the purée is too thick. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Note — Puree can be stored in refrigerator for a day or two before completing this dish.
5. Return pan to heat. Add corn kernals — Heat till warmed. Add Lobster pieces — Heat gently till all warmed.Add lemon juice.
6. Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package. Serve on individual plates with Lobster/Fennel Topping — Garnish with torn basil (or chopped parsley) and slivered almonds.
Additional — Can add lightly steamed snow peas (great texture) and also, lemon zest.